VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:23:09 -0600
I don't think Genealogy is fading in interest  and I don't think obsolete is
the correct descriptive word.  I hear a lot of you complaining about having
to buy a book or two.  Have you ever written a book and know the money it
takes doing the research and the tedious hours of typing it???  Most of you
haven't a clue..  I have and I'm here to tell you that I have and I still
haven't recouped the money I spent in traveling and visiting every Library,
Historical Society, Cemetery and I could go on and on.  I've paid everyone
that has kindly helped me over the internet either monetarily or a small
gift and sometimes a heart felt "Thank you."  I subscribe to Ancestry
because they have a treasure trove of printed material from everything
including newspapers and books.  Everything in my book is documented with
"Hard Copy" proof.

After I published my book I created my own website and yes I pay for that
too but the hundreds of items on it I give to you freely.  The items are
things that I have ferreted from those same Court Houses, Libraries  etc etc
that I mentioned above that I used for my book.  The website holds wills,
letters etc that I found and yes also paid for the copies, after publishing
my book.  I buy history books and genealogy books like some women buy
clothes.  Thank God for digital cameras as I have copied many, Many
cemeteries and a few are on my website.  I posted dozens of letters from the
Helena, Montana Historical Society that are on my Website.  A direct
descendant of the author of these letters ask me it he could copy these
letters but not once did he say thanks.  I know that lots of my website
stuff is copied and no one ever bothers to say thanks.  I don't really mind
but it sure would  fly my bonnet if they would just a few times.

Ancestry and the LDS Library are so flagrantly guilty of passing on
fallacious information it is pathetic.  They do this by accepting donated
family history that has not been proven in any way shape or form.  They
should stop doing this.  However they both provide valuable information that
has been proven.  No one is perfect nor is this a perfect world :-))

I post my website as part of my signature and I have rec'd flak about that
saying I am trying to sell my book.  Your darn toot'n I'm trying to sell my
book because I am still trying to put the money I have used back into my
savings.  My book occupies one of my web pages that has to be clicked by the
visitor in order to view.  I use my website primarily to share with others
of my large family.

Sorry I made this so long but I love to write and sometimes it takes a brick
through the computer to shut me up..

My very best to everyone and have a great summer.. Fern K. Buford Walker
www.bufordfamilies.com