VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2007

Date:
Sun, 27 May 2007 00:34:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/2007 1:43:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Where  can I look for more information about the 36th Regiment, VA Infantry
that  was formerly the 2nd Kanawha Regiment? Or who might have some
information  on why this regiment was formerly the 2nd Kanawha Regiment?

I am  assuming that the regiment was renamed after WV ceded to the Union side
and  became a state in 1863, but what I assume may not be  right.

Lee Anne:

Not quite. According to information found online:

"The 36th Virginia  Infantry was organized in the western counties of
Virginia, now known as West  Virginia. On May 13,1861 this unit was known as the 2nd
Kanawha Infantry  Regiment, and on July 8, 1861 was accepted into Confederate
State service. July  15, 1861, they were designated the 36th Virginia
Infantry."

Respectfully,

Mike  Peters