VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Scott Smith
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:44:05 -0400
 1) Was it normal in the early years (pre 1850) to have delayed policies
> issued and if so, why?

>If you are asking if it is normal for someone to buy a parcel in, say,
1826, and not insure a property until 1835, then yes, I find that all
>the time. For one thing, there may not have been an insurable structure on
the lot in 1826. Even if there was, it was the owner's option
>as to whether he wanted to insure it or not, which responds to your second
question. Just like today, insuring a home was not
>mandatory.

2) Were policies mandatory?  I say that because there is a house around the
corner from me situated on E. Marshall Street (then ' I ' Street) built in
1814 that I have never seen a MAS policy on.

>see response to question #1.

3) Was there other companies issuing policies in Richmond during this time
frame and if so, who were they and are their records available to look at
like MAS?

> The answer is yes... I have worked on a number of projects in Richmond and
elsewhere in the state wwhere other companies were >used. I am working on
one property in Albemarle County that was insured in 1851 by the  Schoharie
County Mutual Insurance Company
>of New York...we only know that, however, because the policy is in the
family papers at UVA...otherwise, no database would have led
>us to that information.

>If anyone knows of any companies that were actively insuring Virginia
houses during the 18th and 19th centuries for which there is a
>database or register of properties (similar to what Mary Washington did for
the Mutual Assurance Society of Virginia0, please share that

--
W. Scott Smith, Managing Partner
The Antiquaries, LC

The Piedmont Center, 311 Rivermont Avenue
P.O. Box 75, Lynchburg, VA 24505
Home Office 434-528-3995
Mobile 434-401-3995
www.theantiquaries.com