VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:13:43 -0500

Either, and to whom often depended not the choice of the child. I believe
that the children were bound out EITHER to a relative or to a parishioner,
and it was not a matter of who could BEST afford it; the questions was, "Of
those able to afford a child, who would be best overall for a) the future
likelihood that the child would again become a charge to the parish, b) the
relative, and c) the child, and in that order".

Children unable to fend for themselves were a significant and substantial
cost to the parishes, some of which had very little money by which to pay
for such care and keeping.  Then too, to whom the child went depended on
which family or person most needed and also could afford a child of that age
and sex.