VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 14:20:21 EDT
       1. Can anyone out there tell me when Virginia stopped having chancery
suits and "blended" them in with ordinary trial cases?
       2. are the chancery suits that were nicely filed and found in various
county clerk's offices finally on microfilm (or any other source) and
available for use by researchers. This might be a basis for a progress report
from the LOV? It was a sad day for researchers when "conservators" came in
and promptly put these wonderful Woodruff boxes off limits to pack the
contents in acid-free sheets and boxes (even though they are archival). It
was much like the IRS coming in and saying, "We're from the IRS and we're
here to help you!!!"
       3. Would anyone out there know what happened to Georgia (sometimes
Georgeanna) Washington McCarty, She was a daughter of James Ball McCarty (10
Apr 1826-19 Mar 1888) and Lavinia Ann Carter (1834-1866); they had 8 children
 and lived in Lancaster County. She shows up in a chancery suit as a
Georgeanna Jerndon but I have no further information about her. Thanks
William M. McCarty