VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2011

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:55:05 -0400
Humphrey Jones "I" married Mary Dale (a daughter of Edward Dale and Diana
Skipwith....as I recall, there was/is some "British royal blood" in that
line), and they had a son who was named Humphrey Jones "II."  Humphrey Jones
"II" married Elizabeth Unknown (unknown to me, anyway...unless there is
something "buried" in my notes somewhere on her), and they had a son who was
named Humphrey Jones "III."  Humphrey Jones "III" married Catherine Carter
(from the same overall family as Robert "King" Carter of VA....but she was
not his "direct-line descendant").  After Humphrey Jones "III" died, his
widow Mrs. Catherine (Carter) Jones married second to Major Maurice Smith of
Middlesex Co., VA (Maurice left his Will in Middlesex Co., VA in 1795; he
was a descendant of the "family immigrant" to America who was named
Alexander Smith).

Another member of this same overall Smith family married a descendant of
Giles Webb in "next-door" Essex Co., VA.  In addition, there was also
another/unrelated Smith family in Essex Co., VA....that was headed by a
Nicholas Smith and his son Colonel Francis Smith (who married Lucy
Meriwether and Anne Adams)....and that unrelated Smith family also married
into the same Webb family (a "Webb brother" (James Webb, as I recall)
married a woman in the "Colonel Francis Smith line," and his "Webb sister"
married a man (Samuel Smith) in the unrelated "Alexander Smith line").
Essex Co., VA is on the other (South) side of the Rappahannock River from
Richmond Co., VA.  Richmond Co., VA and the City of Richmond, VA are often
confused.  The area North of the river (where Richmond Co., VA is today)
eventually became the North Farnham Parish, and area South of the river
became the South Farnham Parish.  Giles Webb is typically shown as having
been born in the Richmond Co., VA area.

There were also several men who were named Rice Jones in what is today the
Middlesex Co., VA area.  One of them married an Elizabeth Croshaw, and they
had a son who was also named Humphrey Jones (so there were apparently AT
LEAST the above FOUR men named Humphrey Jones who were in that general area
of VA at various times in the 1600s/1700s).  Another man who was named Rice
Jones, Junior married a Jane Cock/Cocke (a daughter of a Nicholas Cock).
When Rice Jones, Junior died, his widow Mrs. Jane (Cock) Jones married
second to a Lt. John Smith (a son of the "family immigrant" Alexander Smith
mentioned above).  That Lt. John Smith (died abouut 1696, as did his father
Alexander Smith) was the grandfather of the above-mentioned Major Maurice
Smith.  I see conflicting information on the internet about the name of the
father of this Rice Jones, Junior....but one would think that the father was
probably also named Rice Jones.  I do not know how/if the various men who
were named Rice Jones were related to Humphrey Jones "I," "II" and "III."
As I recall, the Will of one of the men named Rice Jones referred to one of
the men who were named Humphrey Jones as "my friend"....though I would
certainly not be too surprised if they were all actually cousins.  Bill.