VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:50:35 -0500
Many folks have asked about early punishment for crimes, including one
question this morning.  How often have we heard that in early England and
the American colonies there were something on the order of "300 crimes that
brought death" and as many that had "transportation" as the punishment?

Contrary to popular belief, the law, then as now, was flexible and not
carved in stone.  Again as now, judges had wide discretion in selecting
punishment appropriate to the crime in each case presented.   Here is an
excellent article that we all should copy and save.  HYPERLINK
"http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/history/crime/punishment.html#transportation
"www.oldbaileyonline.org/history/crime/punishment.html#transportation

Paul

HYPERLINK "http://www.DrakesBooks.com"www.DrakesBooks.com