VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2007

Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:50:59 -0500
It is my belief that the type of paper, ink and especially the pen provided
by a courthouse was a significant factor for common men and women deciding
whether to 'sign' their name or place an 'X' on a document.  I have found
both types of 'attesting' by the same adult persons on different court
records during the early/mid-1800's, some of whom found writing personal
correspondence lucidly a few years later.  Not having experience and the
manual dexterity (or 'touch') in using a quill pen, or one with a metallic
nib, during the 1800's and before, often resulted in ink 'blobs,' smears,
'jerky' unintelligible letters, etc by the uninitiated.  (Try signing your
name on rough-textured paper with a bird-feather sharpened with a 'pen
knife,' and think of how the quality and 'smoothness' of such pens varied
extensively and deteriorated rapidly.)  It was not until the late 1800's
that smoothly scribed ink-entries are found in my ancestral records.  It
seems that a 'lead-pencil' (lead being a misnomer for graphite) was often
used for personal correspondence by my family even during the early 1900's.
Try a Google or Yahoo search for pen and pencil history...

Witnesses were also required to confirm the document-maker's identification,
who may or may not have actually 'signed' their names as well.  Finally, the
court clerk provided his signature and applied appropriate 'seals' to
establish the entire document's legality.

Neil McDonald