VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2014

Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2014 12:18:31 -0500
Craig....I just realized that I misspoke about the likely father of Joel Brown. What I should have said was that his father Thomas Brown was probably the known son of Coleman Brown (the first known Coleman Brown in DNA "Group 10;" that "first" Coleman Brown was a son of Daniel Brown "II" and Elizabeth Coleman, a grandson of Francis Brown "II" and Elizabeth Allen and a great-grandson of Francis Brown "I" and Elizabeth Cole). The Thomas Brown (died about 1786) who married first to Susan Powell and second to a Sarah was another man in the family (he was a son of the cousins John and Elizabeth (Brown) Brown, and his children included a Gideon Brown and an Evan Brown). Sorry for the "slip" in my memory.

There was a first/older Thomas Brown (another son of Daniel Brown "II" and Elizabeth Coleman) who died about 1758, and that Thomas Brown "I" married the widow Mrs. Eleanor Stubblefield. They had no sons together, but the Will (as I recall) of that Thomas Brown "I" mentioned his nephew Thomas Brown who was a son of Coleman Brown (as shown above, that "first" Coleman Brown was a brother of Thomas Brown "I"). It is quite likely that the referenced nephew was the Thomas Brown (wife unknown....but maybe Susannah) who was the father of Joel Brown.

I will see what I have, if anything, on the William H. Brown and Susannah Brown (I think it was) who you mentioned.

Bill Davidson