VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:06:25 -0800
Not sure if what I found in my files (below) will help you or not.  The first --taken from a US Army history site-- is a biography of VA militia, et al, and  includes many sources in VMI and other VA locations. that may be available online.  The other is a site re history of National Guard that  I found a few years ago.  --Joanne

    http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/ARNG/NG-VA.htm

  http://www.virtualarmory.com/promotions/almanac_04/2004_Almanac/History_of_the_National_Guard.htm

  (Excerpts) After the [Revolutionary] war, the Militia Act of 1792 governed the militia. States were required to enroll men between the ages of 18 and 45 into companies, regiments and brigades. Each state appointed an adjutant general and brigade inspectors. As the enrolled militia declined in importance, the volunteer companies of the organized militia grew in strength. These uniformed, trained and equipped units grew to a strength of 25,000 by 1804.
  The term "National Guard" was first used in America by a New York militia unit on August 25, 1824.

  The modern image of today’s National Guard began to emerge in 1903, when the Militia Act (also called the Dick Act) thrust the Federal Government into the picture by establishing procedures for a more direct and active role in organizing, training and equipping the National Guard in line with the standards established for the regular Army.

Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hi to the List

I would once again enjoy your comments - suggestions -
ideas.

Known facts: The subject is a man born in Fluvanna in
1889,
and was in the Charlottesville Magesterial District in
1910 (Albemarle). He was married in Charlottesvile
July 1913. In 1917
he was living in Charlottesville, VA (in town)

In reviewing the WW I Draft Registration Card dated
June 5, 1917, for possible new data on this man, one
of the questions was about prior military service; the
response was "private Co D - three years VA NG"

My questions for you:
1. May I assume this is Virginia National Guard?
2. How is the Virginia National Guard organized?
3. In 1917 he would be 27 y/o, so this service could
have been
between age 16 to 27, but I think it likely prior
to his
marriage in 1913, so possibly between 1906 -
1913.
4. Where would these records be found? I am
thinking it would
be a unit in either Albemarle or Charlottesville.

Thanks
Alice in Fluvanna