VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
alyce hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
alyce hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:50:15 -0800
I am late in reading this missive but wanted to let
you know that although the LDS SUBMITTED Files are
known to be "full of errors" as are probably all of
our personal files we have done on our own families.
We are all human.

I made my first and most important connection when I
first started doing geneaology outide my own family of
origin through just one of these sources.  At first
the gentleman whom I attempted to connect with thought
we were not related but after twenty more minutes of
thinking about it, he called me back and said he had
found the connection from the misinformation I had
given him( my mother had the information slightly
askew)and we had been great  friends cousins and ever
since. That was twenty years ago. Yes he is LDS. We
are not.

However, I would never have even had a clue if I had
not been open minded enough to even have looked at the
possibility of finding a clue there. Sorry folks, just
my take on the subject matter. TO ASSUME, that
everyone does shoddy research is  just as ridiculous
as to assume no one can read a cencus correctly.  Sure
there are mistakes when the cencus records are done
but if you have sat in a stake library for any amount
of time greater than two hours and read microfilm I
can assure you your eyes start to film over and your
head starts to hurt and you can easily start to see
things that are NOT there. In addition the penmmenship
from the colonial times was terrible and you need a
translator at times. The people who do these things
for the people at LDS are given some instructions on
how to read the old handwriting..but anyone can
error..so why cast so many stones..get the films for
yourselves and read them.  They are not that hard to
order.

Warm regards from the frozen tundra of Minnesota

ALYCE HART

Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: [VA-ROOTS] FYI;  Family search online

I did NOT ever say  that LDS was without error, nor
would I, Steve; read what I wrote again.