VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
Sondra Reger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sondra Reger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:00:25 -0500
I have some of questions on clarifying counties and states names when
listing family members.  Some writers will put so and so was born in Kanawha
County (now Roane), VA (now WV) and others just put the name of the county
as it is now, no matter what it was at the time.  What is the acceptable
method for this. I always try to be nice to people and explain the
difference, but I have had others "jump down my throat" because I didn't
know the difference of Giles, Botetourt, Craig Counties and the dates of
their formation.

A second  question  concerns listing Sr. and Jr. names such as Gene F.
Elmore, Sr.  ... and Gene F. Elmore, Jr., others put Gene F. Sr. Elmore
instead.  What is the acceptable method for this.

Another question I just thought of, when listing the county of a residence,
should it be city or town, county, state,  or city or town, state , county?

Thanks in advance!

Sondra

Be sure to imagine right, for we tend to become as we see ourselves. -
Norman vincent Peale