VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2004

From:
Tammie Mcgee-Agnor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tammie Mcgee-Agnor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:05:34 -0400
Hello

I recently requested a death certificate from the VDH for my grandmother,
who died in 1989. I am interested in finding out in which county she was
born in order to continue my research. As she was born in 1897, it is
impossible for me to obtain a birth record for her. Today I received a
reply declining my request because I need a "direct and tangible interest"
to obtain the record. I have never run across this problem before, as I
have ordered other certificates in the past with no problem. Does anyone
have any ideas how I can convey a proper "interest" to obtain the record?
It really doesn't even need to be a certified copy, I only want the data
contained therein. Also, what happened to the birth certificates from 1897-
1912? I must have missed that part in Gen 101.
Thanks for any suggestions-
Tammie McGee-Agnor