VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2011

From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2011 07:53:53 -0700
Hi, Nel,
Is this Nel as in the Fairfax Writing SIG?
I have no experience with Bedford County, so I'll let someone else answer your records question.
My experience throughout Virginia is that women/mothers, when widowed or otherwise legally single, were not legally able to be responsible for their underage children.  This is part and parcel of women not having equal rights, as we would phrase it today.  I have a case in the family in Cumberland County where there was a single mom with quite a few assets.  A guardian was appointed for her son who also had considerable assets.  She was quite responsible and capable.  The guardian deferred to her wishes, even one time testifying in court that he disagreed with her rationale but deferred to her integrity and so acquiesced in her decision.  Basically, he had to confirm her sale of her son's land before the court would record it.
Sally Phillips