VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:39:13 -0500
Original message

"...(NGS)...never contacted the authors
asking their permission, and the article I received had a copyright on
it by
Borderbund.  My blood pressure rose and I contacted the then editor.
Late yesterday I
heard from the CEO of NGS and they would like to know how to make it
right?
.... What would you do if you were in my shoes? I wrote the article so
that
the information would be out there.... Margaret"

As a contributor to NGS on several occasions, as were you, as I did so
I fully expected that there would be many copies made of my materials
in whole or in part by many people and that some might profit.  That
was a risk I assumed by forwarding the results of my efforts.  I would
suggest that your pride in and recognition of your efforts by NGS is
ample reward for the efforts, notwithstanding who else may benefit or
how surreptitious their profit motive.

I have seen the whole or selected parts of my articles appear in many
contexts and have been rewarded by knowing the effort benefited many
others who will come after us.

The offer by NGS to "make it right" with you reveals that their error
is realized and that the future likely will see no more of such
distribution by that fine organization.  To that extent you again have
benefited us all.  I say let the whole affair serve as a reminder to
yourself and all of us that, no matter how honorable the intentions of
you and the person/organization to which the material originally was
given, when one submits uncopyrighted, original material there can be
no saying where it will end up.  Paul