VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2016

Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2016 15:32:19 -0400
My ancestor, Thomas Milam, was one of the earliest settlers of the original
Orange County. The first Court Order to mention his name was on 24 March
1737/1738. Then Orange County was simply huge. It not only included present
day Orange, Culpeper, Green and  Madison Counties but also it was
"...bounded....westerly by the utmost limits of Virginia", meaning it
extended across the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley into the
Appalachian Mountains. So we find that the Robert and William King, Robert
Crocket and Patrick Hays families came to Virginia via Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, into the Shenandoah Valley as most Irish, Scottish and German
settlers did then.  This map of Virginia from around 1740 illustrates what I
mean by huge:

http://www.milaminvirginia.com/Links/ORANGE_CTY/VA_%201731_1740.html

22 MAY 1740 ORANGE COUNTY ORDER BOOK 2, page 156.

On 22 MAY 1740 Robert King "made oath that he imported himself, Cathren,
John, Sarah and Elizabeth King from Ireland to Philadelphia & from thence
into this Colony at his own Charges & that this is the first time of his
proving his & their rights in order to obtain Land which is ordered to be
Certified." My guess is that the second name mentioned would be his wife, in
this case Catherine, and the other names his children. Each person imported
was entitled to 50 acres of land. Thus 250 acres for the Robert King family.

"Robert Crocket came into Court & made oath that he imported himself,
Maryrah, John, Archball and JanoSaunah, etc."
-
22 MAY 1740 ORANGE COUNTY ORDER BOOK 2, page 157.

On 22 MAY 1740 William King "made oath that he imported himself, Maryrah,
Jane, Elizabeth & Maryrah King from Ireland to Philadelphia & from thence
into this Colony at his own Charges & that this is ye first time of his
proving his & their rights in order to obtain Land which is ordered to be
Certified."

"Patrick Hays came into court and made oath that he import himself, James,
Joan, William, Maryrah, Catherine & Ruth Hays, etc."

You may view the microfilm images of these court orders at this link:

http://www.milaminvirginia.com/X-Docs/Org_OB2_p156-157_22MAY1740.html

NOTE: Portions of the importations of the Robert Crocket family and the
Patrick Hays family are included on these pages. Although such documented
importations were uncommon, several into Orange County occurred in the
1740s.

William Milam, MD
www.milaminvirginia.com