VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

From:
Ann Whalen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Whalen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 14:52:07 -0600
Can anyone help me with the Clayton family in Virginia, please:
1.  FRANCIS1 CLAYTON was born Abt. 1725 in Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia, and died Aft. November 04, 1771 in Chesterfield County, Virginia.  He married ELIZABETH Abt. 1750 in Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia.

Notes for FRANCIS CLAYTON:
Chesterfield County, Virginia Tithables, 1762:
Francis Clayton, Thomas Clayton, James   3

Francis Clayton, Will Book #2 - 1749-1774, page 67

Frances Clayton Will:
In the name of God, Amen, I Frances Clayton of the County of Chesterfield, being of sound and disposing mind and memory do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament in manner from following that is to pay first my Debts & Funeral Expenses being first paid
Item I lend to my said wife Elizabeth during her natural life of widowhood all my Negros & all my stock of Horses, Cattle, ..., and Hogs & my Household and Kitchen Furniture and after her death of widowhood I give to my son Thomas Clayton twenty five pounds, cash to be raised out of my estate before mentioned I desire to be equally divided among all my children Thomas, William, John, Lucy, Francis, Joseph, & Betsy. I also give to my son Thomas seventy five acres of land to him and his heirs and assignees forever, belonging to the plantation I now live on to adjoin to Benjamin Cloakley, Charles Burton, & Isham Thompson.
I also give to my son, John, seventy five acres of land, to him and his heirs forever, to adjoin my son, Thomas. I also give to my son, Francis, fifty acres of land to him & his heirs forever, to adjoin to my son, John. I also give to my son, Joseph, fifty acres of land belonging to the plantation where I now live and my desire is that my wife shall have the use of my plantation before mentioned to my son Joseph, during her life or widowhood.
Lastly, I appoint my son Thomas & my son William my execs of this my last Will and Testament, revoking all former wills by me made & direct that my estate be not appraised. In witness whereof I set my hand & seal this fourth day of November one thousand seven hundred & seventy one,
signed, sealed, and delivered in presence of
Benjamin Beasley
David X Choakley   Francis X Clayton
Benjamin X Choakley

More About FRANCIS CLAYTON and ELIZABETH:
Marriage: Abt. 1750, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia

Children of FRANCIS CLAYTON and ELIZABETH are:
 i. DANIEL2 CLAYTON, b. 1751, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia.
 ii. WILLIAM CLAYTON, b. 1753, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia.
 iii. JOHN CLAYTON, b. 1755, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia; d. Bef. October 29, 1804, Chesterfield County, Virginia.
 iv. LUCY CLAYTON, b. 1757, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia.
 v. FRANCIS CLAYTON, b. Abt. 1759, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia.
2. vi. JOSEPH CLAYTON, b. 1761, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia; d. 1824, Nelson County, Kentucky.
 vii. BETTY CLAYTON, b. 1763, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia.

Generation No. 2

2.  JOSEPH2 CLAYTON (FRANCIS1) was born 1761 in Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Virginia, and died 1824 in Nelson County, Kentucky.  He married ELEANOR.

Notes for JOSEPH CLAYTON:
In 1785 a league of 60 families was formed in Maryland, pledging to immigrate to Kentucky within a specified time period. The first twenty-five families left in the spring of that year and later the same spring arrived in Nelson County, Kentucky, at a place called Goodwin's Station, which is near the present community of Boston. This was the nearest fortified post to their actual destination of land on Pottinger's Creek. After arriving the men left the women and children at the Post and set out to claim their lands some 12 to 15 miles southeast of the post. These very careful arrangements were necessary because of the Indian problems. The families originated from St Mary's and Prince Georges County in Maryland. The Joseph Clayton family is one of these families. Joseph Clayton arrived in Nelson County by at least October 3, 1793, as he is listed on the court records as a bondsman for the marriage of George Clark and Sarah Brothers. His daughters were older than his sons and married first. The sons all married a few years after arrival in Kentucky, but nothing is known about the mother.

Matross was a nickname given to Joseph when he served in the Revolutionary War. He was an assistant to an artillery gunner - a matross - and the name stuck.

Virginia Revolutionary War Pension Applications:
Joseph Clayton BLWt.2474.100
Sept 1846, Nelson County, Kentucky William Clayton proved in Court by the oaths of Mary Clark and Susan Clark that Joseph Clayton left the following heirs: William Clayton, John Clayton, Joseph Clayton, James Clayton, Charles Clayton, Polly Ford, who was Polly Clayton who died leaving children Robert Ford, Shelton Ford,Theresa Ford, and Nelly Ford,  Catharine Hayden formerly Clayton who died leaving children Elbert Hayden, Ellen Hayden, Elizabeth Hayden, Jane Hayden, James Hayden and Urban Hayden, and Sally Clayton and Thomas Clayton, also children of Joseph, who died unmarried and without issue.
22 April 1848. Nelson Co, Ky. William (X) Clayton, one of the heirs at law of Joseph Clayton, declares Joseph Clayton served during the war as a private in the Virginia Continental line.
22 March 1851. Nelson Co, Ky. Peter (X) Blair, aged 84, of Washington County, Ky, declares Joseph Clayton, deceased, was a soldier in the Revolution. His brother John Blair was in service at the same time. Clayton was wounded in one of his hands. Clayton moved to Kentucky and settled in Nelson County and died in 1824 leaving as his heirs: William Clayton, John Clayton, Joseph Clayton, James Clayton, Charles Clayton, and Polly Ford who was Polly Clayton who died leaving children Robert, Shelton, Teresa and Nelly Ford, Catherine Hayden formerly Clayton who died leaving children Robert Hayden, Ellen Hayden, Elizabeth Hayden, Jane Hayden, James, and Urban Clayton, and Sally Clayton and Thomas Clayton, also children of Joseph, who died unmarried and without issue.

Joseph was found listed in the Virginians in the Revolution as follows:
 Clayton, Joseph (Claton) Matross, 1st Artillery, enlisted February 7, 1777 (note: 23 enlisted)

The listing in the 1810 Nelson Co, KY census is as follows:
1 male 0/10      Charles
2 male 10/16 William & Joseph, Jtec
1 male 16/26 John "Jack"
1 male 45+ Joseph, Sr
1 female 10/16 Catherine
1 female 26/45 Eleanor

note: no slaves

Notes for Eleanor Unknown:
Eleanor Clayton gave consent when Catherine married Joseph Hayden.  This might be her mother but that is not for sure but the marriage consent did say that Catherine was the daughter of the widow.

Claton, Joseph listed in Nelson County, KY Tax Lists 1792.

Clayton, Joseph, private, Continental Line, Cert. 11360, 1854. Children: Wm.,  John, Joseph, James, and Charles. Clayton grandchildren: Robert, Shelton, Teresa, and Nellie Ford; Elbert, Ellen, Elizabeth, Jane, James, and Urban Hayden. (Virginia Genealogist, "Some Virginia Revolutionary Veterans, pg 154)

Witness to Nelson County, KY will of John Brients on 8 May 1787, Joseph Clayton. (The Kentucky Genealogist, 1973, Jan-Mar, pg 14)

Listed in Nelson County Deaths, 1857, is Joseph, son of Joseph. Joseph, the father, is listed as being born in Nelson County.

Second Census of Kentucky - 1800 - List of Taxpayers
Name  County  Tax List Date
Clayton, Joseph Nelson  7 July 1800

1792 -  1794 Residents of Nelson County, Kentucky (formerly Virginia)
District of Austin Hubbard

  1793  1794  1795
Month / Day Sep 25  Apr 8  Apr 23
Name  Clayton, Joseph
VH Males 21+ 1  1  1
VH Ml 16-21 0  0  0
Total Black 0  0  0
Black / 16 0  0  0
Horses  5  2  3
Cattle  7  8  10
Acres  66  66  not listed

1795 Tax Records
Nelson County, Kentucky
District of Austin Hubbard

Last name First name County Water  Acres Rate 92   93   94
Clayton  Joseph  Nelson Pottenger Cr 66 2         *      *

Joseph Clayton is shown as serving in Captain Drury's Company of Artillery (1st), under the Command of Colonel Charles Harrison, Virginia Continental Troops. Various company muster rolls show that he served at the following: Artillery Park, near Morristown (dated November, December 1779; January, February 1780); Middlebrook (dated June 2, 1779); Smith's Creek (dated July 5, 1779); New Windsor (dated July, August, 1779); Fredricksburg (dated September, October, 1778); on furlough by Col Harrison, dated November 1778; Pluckemin (dated January, February, March, April, 1779); White Plains (dated June, July, August, 1778; noted on these muster rolls was that Joseph was wounded in Princetown); Valley Forge (dated May1778). Company pay records show that Joseph drew 8 1/3 dollars per month.
(Robert Clayton, South Carolina)

Children of JOSEPH CLAYTON and ELEANOR are:
3. i. SARAH "SALLIE"3 CLAYTON, b. Abt. 1782, Kentucky; d. Abt. 1813.
4. ii. MARY "POLLY" CLAYTON, b. Abt. 1788.
5. iii. JOHN "JACK" CLAYTON, b. 1790, Nelson County, Kentucky; d. February 25, 1863, Marion County, Kentucky.
6. iv. JOSEPH CLAYTON, b. 1799, Nelson County, Kentucky; d. November 07, 1857, Nelson County, Kentucky.
7. v. WILLIAM CLAYTON, b. 1800, Nelson County, Kentucky.
8. vi. CHARLES C CLAYTON, b. February 02, 1800, Nelson County, Kentucky; d. November 16, 1874, St Joseph, Daviess County, Kentucky.
9. vii. CATHERINE CLAYTON, b. Abt. 1803.
 viii. JAMES C CLAYTON, b. Abt. 1821; m. ELIZABETH BOONE; b. Abt. 1830, Maryland.

Notes for JAMES C CLAYTON:
The 1850 Census of Nelson County, Kentucky had the family listed as follows:

Clayton  James  29
  Elizabeth  20
  John G  10/12

Notes for ELIZABETH BOONE:
1850 Nelson County, Ky census:

Name   age  sex  BP  value
Clayton, Elizabeth Boon 65    F  Maryland  450 acres
Clayton, James C  29    M  Kentucky
Elizabeth (wife)  20    F  Kentucky
John G   1      M  Kentucky

Generation No. 3

3.  SARAH "SALLIE"3 CLAYTON (JOSEPH2, FRANCIS1) was born Abt. 1782 in Kentucky, and died Abt. 1813.  She married BARNABUS CARTER December 26, 1802 in Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky.  He was born 1760 in Nelson County, Kentucky, and died 1841 in Nelson County, Kentucky.

Notes for SARAH "SALLIE" CLAYTON:
Sarah and Barnabus Carter were married in Nelson County, Kentucky by the famous Catholic priest, Father Steven Theodore Badin. The Carters were not Catholic, but the Clayton's were. Joseph Clayton was the bondsman for the marriage.

Notes for BARNABUS CARTER:
Revolutionary War Pension Applications:

Pvt, Virginia line; placed on pension rolls on December 16, 1828; pension began December 1, 1828. Barnabus filed his application at the age of 77, and his pension was $96.

Marriage Notes for SARAH CLAYTON and BARNABUS CARTER:
Their marriage bond was dated 21 November 1802.
Signed bond: Joseph Clayton
Consent in Person: Joseph Clayton, father of Sarah
Married by Father S.T. Badin in Nelson County, Kentucky (marriage register)

More About BARNABUS CARTER and SARAH CLAYTON:
Marriage: December 26, 1802, Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky

Children of SARAH CLAYTON and BARNABUS CARTER are:
10. i. JOSEPH4 CARTER, b. March 16, 1806, Kentucky; d. 1813, Nelson County, Kentucky.
 ii. BARNABUS CLAYTON CARTER, b. 1810.
 iii. WILLIAM CARTER.
 iv. JOHN CARTER.
 v. THOMAS CARTER, b. February 19, 1806, Nelson County, Kentucky.

4.  MARY "POLLY"3 CLAYTON (JOSEPH2, FRANCIS1) was born Abt. 1788.  She married JOHN G FORD December 18, 1808 in Nelson County, Kentucky.

Marriage Notes for MARY CLAYTON and JOHN FORD:
Their marriage bond was dated 18 November 1808. Bond and consent were signed by Joseph Clayton, father of the bride.The date of their marriage was December 6, 1809.  The ceremony was performed by Charles Nerinckx.

Nelson County Marriage Bond:
Know all men by these presents that we, John Ford and Joseph Clayton are firmly bound unto Charles Scott, Governor of Kentucky in the sum of fifty pounds, current money, well and truly to be paid to said Governor at his ... law offices to which payment well and truly to be made, we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators, jointly and severally by these presents, sealed with our seals and dated the 18th Day of November 1808. The conditions of the above obligation is that should be no legal reason to obstruct this marriage intended shortly to be solemnized between the above bound John Ford and Wife, Marie Clayton, daughter of the above bound Joseph Clayton.

Then this obligation to be void, else  to remain in full force.

W ...    John Ford (seal)
Ben Grayson   Joseph Clayton (seal)

More About JOHN FORD and MARY CLAYTON:
Bondsman: Joseph Clayton
Marriage: December 18, 1808, Nelson County, Kentucky

Children of MARY CLAYTON and JOHN FORD are:
11. i. ROBERT4 FORD, b. 1813, Kentucky; d. February 27, 1857, Nelson County, Kentucky.
 ii. TERESA FORD, m. GEORGE FOGLE, February 14, 1827, Nelson County, Kentucky.

Marriage Notes for TERESA FORD and GEORGE FOGLE:
Nelson County Marriage bonds:

George Fogle married Teresa Ford, daughter of John G Ford. Surety, William Bryan. Consent filed with bond. Witness, William Bryan. February 14, 1827.

More About GEORGE FOGLE and TERESA FORD:
Marriage: February 14, 1827, Nelson County, Kentucky

12. iii. NELLY "ELEANOR" FORD.
13. iv. LUCINDA FORD, b. Abt. 1816, Kentucky.
14. v. WILLIAM SHELTON FORD.

5.  JOHN "JACK"3 CLAYTON (JOSEPH2, FRANCIS1) was born 1790 in Nelson County, Kentucky, and died February 25, 1863 in Marion County, Kentucky.  He married MARIAH GREEN HAYDEN April 06, 1817 in Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky, daughter of ROBERT HAYDEN.  She was born 1800 in Kentucky, and died June 22, 1895 in Marion County, Kentucky.

Notes for JOHN "JACK" CLAYTON:
The 1850 Federal Census of Nelson County, Kentucky listed the family as follows:

Clayton John  60 husband
 Moriah  49 wife
 Letusha  22 daughter
 Robert  19 son
 Melvina  17 daughter
 Bethany  12 daughter
 John  10 son
 Nancy    8 daughter
 Francis Lemuel   4 son

The 1810 Census of Nelson County, KY lists the family:

John Clayton and Maria. 4 sons, 7 daughters. Son, Francis L Clayton b. 3 Nov 1845 near Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky. Natives of Kentucky.
(History of Daviess County, pg 444)

More About JOHN "JACK" CLAYTON:
Burial: Holy Cross Cemetery, Marion County, Kentucky

More About MARIAH GREEN HAYDEN:
Burial: Holy Cross Cemetery, Marion County, Kentucky

Marriage Notes for JOHN CLAYTON and MARIAH HAYDEN:
Their marriage bond was dated 3 April 1817 and the marriage took place 6 April 1817. Bond was signed by Stanislaus Hayden, Robert Greenwell. Mariah was the daughter of Robert Hayden, deceased. The marriage was performed by Father S T Badin. (marriage register)

More About JOHN CLAYTON and MARIAH HAYDEN:
Marriage: April 06, 1817, Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky

Children of JOHN CLAYTON and MARIAH HAYDEN are:
 i. ELIZA4 CLAYTON, b. January 11, 1819, Nelson County, Kentucky; d. July 17, 1875, Nelson County, Kentucky; m. (1) DAWSON; m. (2) THOMAS H BALLARD, September 25, 1865, Marion County, Kentucky; b. March 06, 1811, Nelson County, Kentucky; d. December 04, 1885, Marion County, Kentucky.

Notes for ELIZA CLAYTON:
Eliza's death record shows that she died of deranged insanity.

More About ELIZA CLAYTON:
Burial: Holy Cross Cemetery, Marion County, Kentucky
Death caused by: Deranged insanity

More About THOMAS H BALLARD:
Burial: Holy Cross Cemetery, Marion County, Kentucky

More About THOMAS BALLARD and ELIZA CLAYTON:
Marriage: September 25, 1865, Marion County, Kentucky

15. ii. JOSEPH JAMES CLAYTON, b. 1821, Nelson County, Kentucky.
16. iii. ANNA M CLAYTON, b. 1822, Marion County, Kentucky.
17. iv. MARY JULIANA CLAYTON, b. November 22, 1823, Nelson County, Kentucky; d. April 20, 1913, Marion County, Kentucky.
18. v. LETITICA A CLAYTON, b. September 09, 1825, Kentucky; d. May 28, 1877.
 vi. ROBERT CLAYTON, b. January 30, 1831, Washington County, Kentucky; d. December 28, 1912, Marion County, Kentucky.

Notes for ROBERT CLAYTON:
Notes for Robert Clayton:
Robert was living with his mother Mariah in the 1880 Nelson Co, KY census. Was listed as age 50 and single.  Mariah was listed as age 77 b. KY parents b. Mr & Ireland.  Robert is listed as an "idiot" in the 1870 Nelson Co, KY census.  That usually means severely retarded.

More About Robert Clayton:
Burial: Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery, Marion Co, KY

More About ROBERT CLAYTON:
Burial: Holy Cross Cemetery, Marion County, Kentucky

19. vii. MARY MELVINA CLAYTON, b. 1833, Kentucky.
20. viii. MARTHA BETHANY "BETHIANA" CLAYTON, b. 1837, Nelson County, Kentucky.
21. ix. JOHN JAMES CLAYTON, b. 1840, Nelson County, Kentucky; d. Arkansas.
 x. NANCY CLAYTON, b. Abt. 1835, Nelson County, Kentucky; m. ROBERT SIDNEY BALLARD, April 16, 1860, Nelson County, Kentucky; b. October 06, 1833, Marion County, Kentucky; d. June 25, 1864, Marion County, Kentucky.

More About ROBERT SIDNEY BALLARD:
Burial: Holy Cross Cemetery, Marion County, Kentucky

More About ROBERT BALLARD and NANCY CLAYTON:
Marriage: April 16, 1860, Nelson County, Kentucky

22. xi. FRANCIS LEMUEL CLAYTON, b. November 03, 1845, Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky; d. 1897, Owensboro, Daviess County, Kentucky.

6.  JOSEPH3 CLAYTON (JOSEPH2, FRANCIS1) was born 1799 in Nelson County, Kentucky, and died November 07, 1857 in Nelson County, Kentucky.  He married SUSANNAH FRANCES CLARK October 05, 1819 in Washington County, Kentucky, daughter of JOSEPH CLARKE and MARY GOODWIN.  She was born 1798 in Washington County, Kentucky.

with many thanks!

annie