VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2008

From:
sharon Peery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
sharon Peery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:17:48 +0000
My impression is that there actually is very little genealogic information on this list.
I am glad to get the Library's announcements of lectures, new archival information,                                                           etc., and I assume that the announcement of the book talk on Dr. Freeman, lobotomist,                                                      fits into that category.

Just to confirm my impression, I looked at the list archives for August and September
of this year.  There are announcements; offerings by the wonderful Binns (I love
those tax lists, even though I go to the Library frequently to look at tax lists); mes-
sage after message discussing the Hemings-Jefferson DNA controversy; and, here and
there, a genealogic query with often helpful replies.

My Virginia roots are in the Valley and my husband's in Tazewell and Wythe Counties.
I don't remember ever seeing any queries relating to Valley or mountain families, and
I have wondered just whom this list is intended for.  I stay on it because I like getting
the announcements,  but it would be nice if the list would lighten up a little bit.  Old-
line Virginians stopped being important to anyone but themselves a long, long time ago.
Half of the residents of Virginia were born elsewhere, including me, and perhaps the list
could be a bit more hospitable to newcomers who love Virginia and its fascinating, if
frequently maddening and depressing, history.

                                               Sharon Peery