VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 16:21:39 -0500
I am not well today, nor have I been since last Friday, so will not be out
tonight.  Wish I could, but I cain't.  hahaha

Of course, as you all know, I feel that all research turns on "where" the
ancestor lived, so it is at those counties' genealogy societies, you will
come close to at least knowing of what that society considers important.  As
an example, Google these words = genealogy society TN counties =   From
there go to the county needed and see what that group has posted.  Don't
ever forget to check frequently at that county society site, since nearly
ALL societies up date their pages when matters of importance come on to the
market

I always check LDS and their FHCs (with great caution), and the state
library for any State I am searching.  Never forget "Heritage" for Persi and
some censuses (our library has it on line).

So, if you think it necessary, please tell all that my favorites as starting
points are HYPERLINK
"mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask] for all
research of VA, NC, MD, KY, WV, TN, and some of SC and GA.  That reference
will help with the vast resources available in the VA archives and Library,

For searching books which will lead to printed resources, most the
references found here at  HYPERLINK
"http://books.google.com/intl/en/googlebooks/about.html"http://books.google.
com/intl/en/googlebooks/about.html  will much more reliable than
Ancestry.com or any other of the pay-for-genealogy pages. In that great
search engine, I consistently use almost all searches that are "new" to me.
That site is growing daily and presently, I am told, has some 60,000 books
and articles.  Notice; this is NOT the same as the ordinary Google search.
You also may gain entrance into that Google site by going to my website -
HYPERLINK "http://www.DrakesBooks.com"www.DrakesBooks.com - and there click
"search of books", then click "all books".  My books also are there, should
you care to search for anything I have said about the person or subject
matter.

For much of the North and Northeast, including all of PA, much of NY and a
bit of all of the bordering states, I go first to the PA Archives.  These
resources are vast and VERY comprehensive, so plan a couple days just to
familiarize yourself with those sources.  That site is HYPERLINK
"http://www.footnote.com/topicpage.php?tp=88"http://www.footnote.com/topicpa
ge.php?tp=88.  When you reach that home page,  be sure to check the other
sources mentioned there.

Have a nice evening.

Paul

Checked by AVG Free Edition.