VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2004

Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:17:41 -0400
I've never had any problem getting a Virginia birth or death certificate
if it was available.  I've always listed the purpose as "genealogy" or
"family history" (or even "family medical history" for direct-line
ancestors or other close relatives), and after my relationship to the
subject added that I'm the surviving next-of-kin.  I figure, even if
there are other living descendants, in my direct line since my parents
and grandparents are all deceased, I AM next!  Have never had it
questioned except when I asked for my baby brother's birth/death
records.  That's when they asked about next-of-kin status and I think I
had to provide the death information for my parents for their
satisfaction. That was at least ten years ago, and procedures and
personnel change.   I understand that records of deceased children are
prime information for those wanting to commit identity crimes, so it's
good that they questioned that even more (and I was relieved to see that
his birth certificate also indicates that he was deceased, though in his
case the hospital would have filed both records at the same time because
he only lived a few hours).

As for the lack of vital records from 1896-1912, not only did the
legislature take away the funding, I've heard  that they diverted it to
a "higher good" that no one at that time would have questioned --
funding pensions for the Confederate veterans and widows. Haven't
bothered to read the legislative records on this, but the timing is
about right, and it's a good story if its not true.

I have read the 1853 Act that resulted in the collection and reporting
of birth and death information that we all rely upon.  It doesn't give
any specifics, and is very direct and to the point.  It simply provides
that the Clerks of Court would be paid 3 cents for every record they
reported to Richmond!  That was a lot of work for three cents per name,
but three cents was worth a lot more back then.

Rosie in Richmond