VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:41:19 -0500
I haven't read all of the threads to this topic. The problem that has
confronted me with DNA is the fact that my paternal grandmother had 3 boys
and 1 girl.. All of them have passed on. All of the boys i.e. my father and
his brothers had one girl.  The daughter had 3 boys and one girl.  With my
last name of "Cox" with my gggg-grandfather living in Buckingham County and
married to Rachel Watkins, I have wished upon all wishes that I could trace
my paternal DNA... My maternal line is Hastings out of Nottoway County..I
haven't traced that yet; but I had better get on the stick.

As far as DAR...I am with you, Bill.  I started to join the DAR and my gut
told me to investigate and confirm my own lineage first.  The DAR listings
are a nice little hint (like Ancestry.com); but nothing is better than DNA
and a little shoe leather..