VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2013

From:
Kitty Manscill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2013 13:21:56 -0400
And remember, dendrochronology (tree ring dating) has shown that this period
was a time of drought; so even crops planted did not survive.

As for fish, some of the settlers were sent down river to an area near
Newport News or Hampton to live on oysters.  They suffered too as their
skins turned white and began peeling off.

We can not begin to realize how they all suffered, and  though these are our
ancestors and we hate to think of cannibalism, people will go to great
lengths just to survive.

Has anyone thought of testing the DNA of Jamestowne Society members to see
if anyone could match with Jane or some of her siblings and their
descendants?