VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2009

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:03:33 -0500
I have a case where a "Smith infant/toddler" was taken-in by John and
Mary (Bennett) Brown around 1817-1820 in Middlesex Co., VA.  DNA
testing on a living male descendant shows that this infant/toddler was
a "biological Smith" who was a member of the same overall Smith
family as the John Smith who married Sarah Waller (daughter of Judge
Benjamin Waller of Williamsburg) around 1788.  This child was named
and reared as Smith W. BROWN, however, by his new "Brown
guardians."

It appears that John Smith and Sarah Waller MAY very well have been
the parents of this child, and it appears that Mrs. Sarah (Waller)
Smith was dead by at least the 1820 census (she MAY have died as a
result of having the referenced child...she would have been about the
age of 50 in 1817).  If Smith W. Brown was, in fact, a child of John and
Sarah (Waller) Smith, it appears that the widower John Smith gave this
son to his "new Brown guardians" while John Smith was still alive
(though John Smith was probably in ill health at the time, and perhaps
unable to care for an infant son, since John Smith was also dead by at
least 1822).

Note: Mrs. Mary (Bennett) Brown was also a descendant of the
referenced overall Smith family (but out of a different "branch" of that
family), so she and her husband John Brown were "viable candidates" to
have taken-in a Smith child.

In 1822, there was a chancery court case where the "representatives of
the heirs of John Smith" were to divide the "estate of Maurice Smith"
(Maurice Smith was the father of John Smith, and when Maurice Smith
died back in 1795, he left his entire estate to his only son John
Smith...though John Smith had three sisters).  This 1822 chancery case
distributed the remaining estate of Maurice Smith (which MAY have
been slaves only, but I am not sure about that) to
three "representatives of the heirs of John Smith."  The division was not
equal....i.e., it was not simply 33 1/3 to each of these
three "representatives"...so the percentage that each "representative"
was to receive MAY have been dependent on all of the younger (and
unnamed) family members in each of these "three branches of the
Smith family."

Note: I have seen what appears to be only a SUMMARY of the
referenced chancery case (this "summary" was found in the papers of
George H. S. King at the Virginia Historical Society).  I need to read the
entire/full court case, but I will have to go to the Middlesex courthouse
to do it, since the Middlesex chancery cases available at the LOVa stop
in 1820...and I need the cases from 1822.

The three people listed as "representatives of the heirs of John Smith"
were: 1) the husband of one of John Smith's living sisters, 2) the
husband of one of John Smith's own daughters, and 3) the only adult
son of John Smith in 1822 (James Smith).  This excluded any mention of
the Brown family, who had taken-in Smith W. "Brown."  Is this
particularly surprising, or do guardians of a child...and/or the child
himself/herself...forfeit any "direct/automatic" benefit from the
distribution of an estate from the child's "original/biological family?"

What I am trying to determine, of course, is whether or not the
exclusion of Smith W. Brown and/or his "Brown guardians" in the above
chancery case necessarily means that Smith W. Brown was NOT a son
of John Smith and Sarah Waller after all.  It appears that the "heirs of
John Smith" were to divided the estate of John Smith's FATHER Maurice
Smith....versus dividing the estate of John Smith himself....and I can't
help but wonder if that MIGHT be a "significant detail" in all of this.

Comments on the above?  Thanks.