VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
"C.N. Russell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
C.N. Russell
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:27:27 -0800
Your definition is succinct.  The problem for me is that my 4th great-grandfather's birthdate is listed as 8 Sept 1752, Co Tyrone, Ireland.  There is not supposed to be an 8th of Sept in 1752.  So, was Ireland behind in updating their calendar? I would appreciate any feed back or comments.

Cynthia N. Russell

 Term from the Glossary.

In turn, it would be useful to me to receive feedback on my definition and
 understanding of the Term. Here goes:

 "Calendar - In 45 A.D. Julius Caesar established the Julian calendar on
 which the New Year began March 25th. January, February and the first
 twenty-four days of March constituted the last three months of the year. In
 1582, Pope Gregory XIII created the more accurate Gregorian calendar and
 began the New Year on January 1st. This required eliminating 10 days. Soon
 afterwards Roman Catholic countries adopted the Gregorian calendar.
 Protestant England waited until the reign of King George II when in 1752 it
 was necessary to eliminate 11 days. Thus, September 2, 1752 was followed by
 September 14, 1752. The first court entry for Thomas Mylum in Orange County
 is an example: March 24, 1737/1738 - actually 1738 on our present calendar."
 William Milam