VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2010

From:
Ronald Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:58:54 -0400
Dear Mr. Moore,
     How interesting to find out some things about my family's history. I
see there are some minor corrections needed. My grandfather Larew was named
James Newton Larew. I own his Bible imprinted with his name as simply Newton
Larew
and family all called him "Newt". However, his birth certificate indicates
he was named James Newton Larew at birth. He died in 1944 as the result of
being burned severely after accidentally spilling kerosene on his clothing
while he was smoking.

     I am in possession of photographs of Abbie Moore Larew and her
daughter, Willard Larew. She never married and spent the rest of her life
living with her mother and then with Posten Larew's family.

     William Guy Larew was killed in France during WW I. He was buried there.

     Newton married Sarah Ethel Hershman and they had three childrern:
Bertha Burl Larew (Wolfe), Albert Newton Larew who married Mary Ellen Jones,
who was my father's sister, and Doris Bondalene Larew. Doris married Roy
Clint Jones on March 12, 1939. They were my parents. I am Ronald Ralph
Jones, born 12/4/1940. I have a brother Shelby Dean Jones born 9/27/1952.

     Some of this history is material I had never heard. I do know from my
mother's memory that after Edgar Senseny Larew died, my grandfather James
Newton went to work in the mines at age 8 to support the family. That means
that it was likely 1897, which means that edgar must have died in 1896.

     Folks failed to write down much of their family's story, simply handing
it down from one generation to the next. Memories can become very frail to
which I can attest.

I hope this information may help in filling in some blanks for you. Thanks
for what you have given me.

Rev. Ronald R. Jones, Retired United Methodist pastor in Virginia.