VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2012

From:
"Gayle M. Garrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 19:44:58 -0600
*Trying for some new leads*:

**we would appreciate it if anyone could furnish us the names & other information on Joseph McCoy was born in 1776 and was married to Willa (Willie) Harvey & resided in Stover Fork West Virginia area.***

Our McCoys were from Virginia or now could be West Virginia.

We do know when my great great grandfather Harvey McCoy was born & when & where he died & is buried.

Harvey was an educated man because of some of the things he did.

Harvey was born on December 23, 1813, in Virginia or could now be West Virginia.

Harvey McCoy & Louisa Crist were married: October 03, 1842 in Perry County, Indiana. So he had left The Virginia area behind by then.  Their 4 oldest children were born in  Perry County, Indiana. Harvey was County Auditor of Perry County, Indiana. They were in Moravia, Iowa, Appanoose County by the winter of 1850. In Moravia, Iowa, Appanoose County is where Harvey's & Louisa's 4 younger children were born.

Moravia, Iowa, Appanoose County, was laid out June 27, 1850 - Founded by Moravia Church. Harvey McCoy taught the first school in Moravia in the winter of 1850 - 1851. Harvey also being the Justice of the Peace, married the first couple in Moravia on March 11, 1852. They were Maria Theresa & Epharim Cummins, both nineteen years of age.

Harvey died: December 17, 1895  in Appanoose County, Iowa & both Harvey & Louisa are buried in
the Mount Pleasant Baptist Cemetery, Monroe County, Iowa. Louisa died: December 18, 1893 in Appanoose County, Iowa. One of our many sources of information on Harvey & Louisa is their Headstone.

The family has been trying to learn more about him for over 35 years now.

I myself, have been trying to do research on my McCoy family's history for over 30 years now.

We are still looking for possible good leads on our McCoy Family History, names. & where.& who they were.

We are still looking for clues on Harvey's Parents, & the possibility Joseph's wife, Willa (Willie) Harvey' maiden could possibly be a clue. We are looking for anything that might lead us in a new direction for more research.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

My health won't let me travel anymore.
Gayle M. Garrett

I live in western Kansas.
*