VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:03:22 -0400
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for the ancestors of my James DeFord, whose daughter Lucy marries Miller Sexton, 1817 in Wake Co NC.  James begins appearing in Wake Co Buckhorn District tax records in 1805, about the same time that a James DeFord disappears from records in Isle of Wight Co VA.  NC census records show no DeFords in 1800.  I understand that the name may be a derivation of "Du Fort", possibly French Hugenot.  However, I've looked at both Isle of Wight and Wake Co records, and in both places the James DeFord is quite consistent.    Also, TN records of DeFord descendants associated with the family of Miller Sexton in Greene Co TN, suggest these DeFords born before 1804 were born in VA.  (Lucy DeFord Sexton died before 1850, so I have no reference for her).

I have the following information on James DeFord n Isle of Wight Co.  He is I believe the son of John DeFord:   John Deford's Will, 3 Jan 1788:  Leg. - son James; son William; wife; daughter Ann, daughter Fereby Deford.  Exs., James Deford and friend Jesse HOLLEMAN.  Dated Sept 18, 1787; recorded Jan 3, 1788.  Wit. Aaron CORNWELL, James LUPO, Jane DEFORD (will book 3, page 87)

The marriages of the children above are probably with Lancaster, Wombwell (Wombly), Bennett and Calcote, as follows:

1785-1788  James DeFord marries Ann LANCASTER, daughter of Henry Lancaster, according to Lancaster researchers. This is not in IOW marriages, though.

Ann Deford marries Lemuel WOMBWELL, James Deford is surety, parent is Ann Deford, 17 Feb 1790.

Fereby Deford marries James BENNETT, 10 Oct 1800.

William DeFord and Elizabeth CALCOTE, 1802.

My question is whether anyone is researching these families and knows what happened to the above four couples, or whether their families migrated to Wake Co area.  I know that some of the Wombwell/Wombles and Hollomans did.  I am also very aware (via my own Gay family, separate), of the migration from the IOW area south and southwest in NC counties, like Edgecombe, Bertie, Chowan, etc.   FYI, another researcher thinks that he has a James DeFord, b. 1787, that might be the son of James DeFord and Ann Lancaster.  He migrated to Amite, MS.

The following Isle of Wight records I have collected on DeFords from about 1774, when I first find John, until the early 1800s.  I know that some of the families below also have strong ties with surrounding counties, but have not had a chance to look yet.

IF someone out there has documentation on the above James DeFord family's migration whether to NC, a surrounding county, other state, or death that is much later in the Isle of Wight records than I have been researching, I look forward to hearing from you, so I can move on to other possibilities, if this isn't a possibility.  Any comments welcome.

My best Regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter

DEED BOOK 13 Some of the References to DeFord

Deed Book 13 1772-1778, from Isle of Wight Deeds, 1750-1782, Iberian Publishers  All but the Norsworthy deeda[[ear to be on or close to Blackwater Swamp, which I can't find on my Atlas.

Pg 197 - (didn't copy date prob 1774) - Thomas CAMP of Gloucester Co to John DEFORD of Isle of Wight. 100 acres on south side of the Great Branch.  Wit:    Thomas DAVIS, John (x) MUNFORD and Elizabeth MUNFORD.

Pg 296 - 28 Feb 1775 - Thomas CAMP of Gloucester Co to Thomas COPHER Jr. of Isle of Wight.. 230 Acres adjacent Benjamin ATKINS (Atkinson??), John DEFORD, the Main Road, John HOLOMAN (many sp), William HARRIS, John WOMBLE & James COOPER.
Wit:  John THOMAS, Jonas BRADSHAW, Isaac MOODY.

Pg 197 - 2 Mar 1775 - Thomas CAMP of Gloucester Co to John DEFORD of Newport Parish, Isle of Wight, 50 acres adj. John MUNFORD &  HOLLOMAN.
Wit:  Henry LANCASTER, Thomas COPHER, James GWALTNEY (Note separate land record shows Henry Lancaster lived north side of main Blackwater Swamp)

Pg. 422 - 5 Nov 1776 - Jos. NORSWORTHY of Isle of Wight  to John DEFORD of same.  300 acres adj. Thomas GALE  John BALDWIN, John NORSWORTHY, John GAY, William SCOTT, John WORDROPE, Moses HUTCHINS and John DEFORD

pg 488 - 4 Dec 1777 - PHILL LUPO to William GRAY(Gay?)...230 acres adjoining Benjamin ATKINS,  John DEFORD, Jesse HOLLAMAN, William HARRIS, John WOMBLE and James COPHERA
Signed: PHILLIP (X) LUPO
Wit: FrancisYOUNG, Nathaniel BURWELL and James YOUNG
Rec:  4 Dec. 1777

The next appearance involving James  I believe is in 1801, with a deed similar to this 1806 deed.
·
13 Jan 1806  Micajah MUNFORD [MOUNTFORD] to Lemuel BAILEY
Deed of Trust.  Land adj. William DEFORD, William WHITY, Lemuel BAILEY
Wit:  Josiah HOLLIMAN, Jordan HOLLIMAN, Jesse HOLLIMAN ( Deed Book 20, pp. 200-02)

Note:  Here is one of the earlier deeds I believe corresponding closely to the area of all those above, except the Norsworthy deed:

LAND-GIFT: VAIOW-DE1 p. 88, from father SAMUEL LANCASTER of Surry, to son ROBERT of the Isle of Wight, 100 acres on Blackwater Swamp in the upper parish (being the upper part of a patent for 350 acres granted JAMES ALLEN on 23 Apr 1701 who sold it to THOMAS PITTMAN) dated 23 Aug 1745, W: JOSEPH LANCASTER, ARTHUR CROCKER, JOSEPH HOLLIMAN, WILLIAM DRAKE, and JOHN (X) LANCASTER

DEFORDS IN IOW WILLS AND ADMINISTRATIONS

John DEFORD appraises estate of Pitt REYNOLDS, 1 Sep 1774.
John DEFORD witnesses will of Joseph NORSWORTHY, 3 Dec 1778.
James DEFORD is security for will of Henry LANCASTER, 3 Mar 1785. (Daughter Jane is unmarried when will is written).
John Deford is appraiser of estate of Joshua GAY, 2 Jun 1785
John Deford is appraiser of estate of Thomas SAUNDERS, 1 Feb 1787.
John Deford's Will, 3 Jan 1788:  (above)
John Defords estate is appraised by Jesse HOLLEMAN and William GAY, 5 Jun 1788.
James Deford is witness to will of Eliza MUNFORD, 2 Jan 1792.
James Deford is one of Exs. of estate of William BARLOW, 4 Jun 1798.
James Deford is Security for estate of Mary Copher, 3 Sep 1798.
James Deford is Security for estate of Mary Wombwell, 3 Sep 1798.
James Deford is appraiser of estate of Mary Wombwell, 31 Dec 1798.

DEFORDS IN IOW MARRIAGES

Data from "Marriages of Isle Of Wight Co., Va.", unless otherwise indicated.

1785-1788  Lancaster researchers say James DeFord marries Ann Lancaster, daughter of Henry above who died 1784/5.  This is not in IOW marriages, though.
John Deford is surety for Thomas Boyd and Milly Hutchings, 28 Apr 1788.
Ann Deford marries Lemuel Wombwell, James Deford is surety, parent is Ann Deford, 17 Feb 1790.
James Deford is surety for William Brock and Mary Brister, 10 Jun 1800.
Fereby Deford marries James Bennett, 10 Oct 1800.
William DeFord and Elizabeth Calcote, 1802.
Isle of Wight Ministers Returns
1816 Jan.18   Henry Deford and Jane Mitchell
1826 - Nelson Hatchell married Martha DeFord

DEFORD/LANCASTER BIRTH RECORDS

VGS Quarterly   Vol 5  No. 4 Oct, 1967 (Description:  Isle of Wight, "A Register of the ages of Several Persons Children" Mill Swamp Church, 1777-1790; Families of Lancaster (3), Holleman, Mangum, Bell (2), Deford, Jones, Strait, Champion, Womble, and Holleway)

Birth Register of Mill Samp Church, Isle of Wight Co., Va.

James Deford, son of John Deford, was b. April 28, 1765
John Deford, son of John Deford, was b. Aug. 20, 1769
Ann Deford, dau. of John Deford, was b. Jan 19, 1773
Fereby Deford, dau. of John Deford, was b. Feb. 19, 1775

Lucy Lancaster, dau of Henry Lancaster, was b. April 4, 1756
Nancy Lancaster, dau of Henry Lancaster, was b. Aug 24, 1759
Jean Lancaster, dau of Henry Lancaster, was b. Mar. 19, 1763
Sarah Lancaster, dau of Henry Lancaster, was b. May 10, 1766
Martha Lancaster, dau. of Henry Lancaster, was b. Nov 26, 1769

ORPHAN BOUND TO JAMES DEFORD
VGS Quarterly, Vol 27, No 4  Nov. 1989
Isle of Wight Orphans and Other Children

JUne 1, 1801
Eley CRUMPLER, orphan of Kinchen, is bound out to James Deford, p.662

TAX LIST INFO

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.com/~vataxlists/IsleWight/1790PersonalB/06.jpg
http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.com/~vataxlists/IsleWight/1799PersonalA/06.jpg

1790 Isle of Wight

Ann DeFord - 1 horse (widow of John)
James DeFord - 1 white tithe over 21, 1 black over 16, 1 horse

1799 Isle of Wight

Ann DeFord
James DeFord - 2 white males over 16,  1 horse