VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
J Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:10:42 EST

I would never categorically decide a person's identity on this alone, but
it's definitely worth checking out. Actually, there are many cases where a
capital D could be mistaken for a capital S.

Think of the actions necessary to form both a capital S and a D. The only
real difference is the slant and degree of 'roundness' at corners #3 and  4.  If
either or both are nearly nonexistent, you end up with a character  much
closer to a traditional S than a D.

Janice

***************

I would  like to have the opinion of you learned Virginia genealogists
regarding a  situation I have.  I am researching the surname Dugger (also spelled
Duggar, Duger, Dugar, Dugard in early Virginia Colonial records).  My  earliest
knows ancestor is Daniel Dugger (Duggard) and the earliest record is  when he
was appointed as administrator of his father-in-law's (Edward  Scarborough)
estate..  This was 1715/1716 in Surry County.  I do not  think he was the
immigrant but I have not been able to find any record of his  parents.  There is a
1674 list of transported persons that shows a John  Dugard, a 1691 list that
shows John Douger and a 1705 list that shows John  Dugar.  These are obviously
the same person as the other names are the  same as well.  This is evidence
that this John Dugar was in the colony as  early as 1674.  I have found no
record to show what happened this John  Dugar.

I recently purchased the book "Surry County (Virginia) Tithables  1668-1703"
by Edgar MacDonald and Richard Slatten.  There are no entries  for the surname
Dugger (or any of the spellings).  However, as I was  looking through the
index the surname 'Sugger' jumped out at me.  As I  studied the index I found
that the surname Sugger, Suger, Sugar, Shuger and  Shugar appeared in almost
every year that the list was shown, starting with  1675.  All the entries seem to
apply to the same person as they were in  the same location and the adjoinig
names were similar.

My questions are  these:

1.  Do you think there is a reasonable chance that the 'D'  could have been
mistaken for an 'S' and that the surname was actually Dugger,  etc.? The
authors stated that the calligraphy was difficult to read and the  records were not
in good condition.  All these entries are for Lawnes  Creek Parish and are
close to where my known ancestor, Daniel Dugger got his  land patent in 1725.

2.  Does anyone know if these records are  still available for viewing?  If
so where would they be located. (I  assume either in Surry County or the
Library of Virginia.)

Any help  would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph  Dugger
Dallas