VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2009

From:
Lesley L Shockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:13:42 -0400
 From my experience with FTDNA I would gladly take DNA evidence over a
"paper trail" any day.  The DNA of three out of nineteen in our project
did not match the paper trail.  Two were quite surprised but for one it
matched "family stories" not paper trails.  Both of the other two, when
the paper trail was examined closely, problems could be seen.

Grandparents raising a grandchild as their own child while their next
youngest child, a single daughter of 17 or 18 is still living at home
happened more often than many will admit.  It raises questions
especially when the descendants DNA matches that of nearby neighbors and
they had sons in the age range of 17 to 25.

Les