VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 04:48:38 -0800
Thanks to all who replied so far.

   I do have the info from Terry Gruber's sites and have scanned several documents at American Memory (Lib. of Congress), and a small book by Wm Henry Engle, "An Illustrated HIstory of the Commonwealth of Penn. (Harrisonburg, 1876), but only Terry gives some names, and they are limited to a small number of the hostages.

  In Chalkley's "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish" is at least one reference to a man from VA --John Warrick-- receiving 50 acres for his participation in the Bouquet Expedtition.
  I'm hoping someone has found the list of VA men who went with Bouquet in one of the books about him or possibly in Bouquet's papers.

   It would be wonderful to also find more names of  the hostages freed during the period of  1764 - January 1765.  Currently, there is a great deal of folklore out there, all claiming that it was someone's "Uncle Joe" or "Cousin Moe" who rescued hostages single-handedly.  I've seen one story repeated in several different lines:  Same story, different hero.  Finally got curious enough to start doing a search to see just where it would lead.  First up, of course, was Col. Henry Bouquet and his demand ca. Oct. 1763 for the return of all hostages as a condition for a peace agreement with the tribes.

  Yes, I will be happy to share anything I learn, and hope others will do the same.  One list member wrote to suggest I also post this query on [log in to unmask], and I will.

  Joanne

[log in to unmask] wrote:
  Joanne,

This is an important search. Please share any information that you
collect on listlva. Good luck. Have you ever run across a list of men
who were punished in Bacon's Rebellion?

Bob Hill