VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2011

From:
Janice Friel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 19:05:23 -0400

Anita

Well he did sound like quite a character. I know lots of slave owns name
their people after themselves, so I thought that there could be a connection
with my Jackson.
It was good of him to free them. Sounds like he may have been a good
person. I don't know of Charles Yates, but it sounds like you have done quite a
lot of research on him.

If I come across anything in my searches I will post for you.

Good Luck
Janice

Janice,
My ancestor, James Jackson was described a Slave (or servant),  to Charles
Yates in Fredericksburg. Yates was a wealthy businessman and builder  in
Fredericksburg. When he died (in 1822),he freed all of his slaves, including
my ancestor, James Jackson. He even left one of his freed slaves $500.00 in
his  Will. William and Samuel Jackson were apprentices of Charles Yates and
he paid  them dues when they turned 21. James and Patty Bowden were formally
married  after he was free. They had several children together, including my
direct  ancestor Samuel Jackson. They were part of the  Free Black
Community in  Fredericksburg.

I did a lot of research on Charles Yates and he was  quite a character.
When Patty Bowden completed her indenture and moved to  Fredericksburg, he
allowed her to live on his property. One of his servants,  Aminidab Booker, was
sent to him from London. The man sent a letter to Yates and  told him that
Booker was not coming as a slave, but under Indenture. He also  told him to
Pay Book for his services, once he was free. He was the one who  received
$500.00 after Gates death. James and Patty's son, William was a  Carpenter in
Fredericksburg, while Samuel was a Laborer. I have been told that  Yates was
a Quaker, so that may have been what formed his views on slavery.

Anita