VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:48:17 -0500
Try
www.history.ac.uk/gh/fish.htm   and
http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/fish.htm    and
http://www.jamestown.abc-clio.com/ReferenceDisplay.aspx?entryid=1003227

I would suggest that he has disappeared for, at the most, 9 years, which
time would not be remarkable, considering that it often took 4, 5, 6 or even
more years for the patent to have been perfected.  Then too, many
apprenticed folks stayed on and worked at the property of the sponsor for an
additional couple years of years or more in order to find an opportunity in
another colony - such as MD.

If, indeed, he truly was an apprentice, I surely would start with the VA
Archives.  The fact that he was listed as in some way associated with the
fish merchants guild suggests that he or some family male, likewise, had an
association before him.  I surely would suggest also that you examine the
records of the shire (county) from which he migrated to here.  You may well
find that the county from which he came was on or near those places where
fishmongers and marketers were commonplace, since that term also very often
referred to merchants in fish, etc.

"Virginia", at that time, might well have been referring to any colony along
the Atlantic south seaboard.  It would not be surprising to find a young
apprentice, even if he truly did arrive in VA as we know it, that had but a
short apprenticeship to serve, might have served that obligation, found the
means by which to buy back his headright, or through some other circumstance
was allowed to go to MD as a "freeman" and so shows up there.

The MD record you have was for what MD county or district ?  How far was it
from that emigration point was the VA line?  And was the MD place from which
vicinity he came on a waterway of a harbor ?

Keep