VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2011

Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 00:07:41 EST
While researching a 3G-grandfather in Tennessee, I came across a court
record about a lawsuit that was brought against him.  He purchased a young
slave boy and was later informed that the boy was not a slave, but he had been
captured by a trapper hunting in Indian territory.  The details of the suit
 indicated that the boy's father was a full blood Cherokee,  His mother was
 a quarteroon - a white woman who had negro heritage.  He was mostly native
 American.

In subsequent census records the "boy" who took my ancestor's surname (his
wife and family) was always coded as B in the race category.  They remained
 neighbors for the remainder of their lives.  In 2009 I visited the home
that my ancestor built in 1833.  There was a long building in back - now
used as a barn - likely slave quarters and the home to the young man and his
family.

Times are different!!