VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 19:33:10 -0500
Ms. Karen; After reading these materials several times, I believe that this
was a ordinary business transaction where Mitchell performed services or
gave supplies to John Berry; no way to know what, but the amount today would
be $5,000 - $6,000 - a lot of money. Remember, there were no commercial
banks as we know those today, and the records reveal very few "loans" except
within families.

In all likelihood it was not farm equipment, horses, mules, household
supplies or such as apparel - the sum is simply too high.  Still though it
might have been for the totality of supplies needed to build a house and
furnish it.  Then too, it might have been for slaves sold by Mitchell to
Berry.  After whichever of those (or still some other merchandise), we know
that Berry fell upon hard times through what cause we do not know, could not
pay the whole of the debt, though he did make substantial installment
payments as noted on the reverse of the bond, and then died.  Mitchell
wanted his money, demanded it of Pendleton - the co-signer on the bond.

For whatever reason, probably because he too fell upon hard times, Pendleton
could not pay the debt.  I very much suspect that there was some other
relationship or acquaintanceship of the merchant and Pendleton, however for
whatever reason the merchant chose to sue the estate for the balance due,
less a credit for the prior installment payments.

When the merchant chose to file that law suit, he was required to sue
through the executors and also would have named any relatives who might have
inherited assets that should have been applied to this debt before the case
was settled.

Short of further findings in the records - especially from the courts'
orders - and research as to the nature of the business of merchant, I
believe that I am unable to infer more.  Interesting problem.

Good luck.

WWW.DrakesBooks.com