VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2003

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:22:39 EDT
Hello Virginia Researchers:

In researching some of my ancestors I have tried to compare the amount of
acres claimed in the 1704 Quit Rent Roll and the totals that I accrue from land
patent and deed records.  I have done this in Henrico County, where if the
records existed before the loss in 1676, the 1704 reports should have been
greater, but I'm already counting acreage beyond that claimed, including wills,
deeds, etc. prior to 1704.

I am curious, if any other researchers have found "underreporting" of land
holdings, or if perhaps some of the individuals on the 1704 rolls may have
actually been tenants and not the landowners.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this issue.

Best Regards,
Janet Hunter