VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Michael Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 07:59:21 -0700
> But why does the location of my fishing hole change off the SC coast
> occasionally STILL? I don't buy it. There's too much at stake for them to
> throw that towel in at this point in time.

There is a certain amount of error in resolving GPS signals to a true
coordinate. The greater number of "birds" your receiver uses helps remove
most of this error but it requires an additional signal that provides the
local error correction "fix" to get pin point accuracy. Many major airports
now have the local error correction transmitter to aid automated landing
systems, this is nothing more than a GPS receiver anchored to a known point
constantly checking its position, calculating the local error and
transmitting this information to GPS systems able to receive it.

The engineers at Honeywell's flight systems facility tell me that the
chances of repeatability for any GPS receiver not supported by local error
correction are slim and none. This does not mean that your reading should be
off by a great margin. If you find Great Uncle Henry's grave and mark the
location with GPS you should be able to return to the site with GPS; if your
reading of a site at different times varies by a great amount you probably
bought a low quality receiver.

While it is true that a few yards, meters, rods or chains make no difference
when attacked by a "nuke" they make a great difference when GPS is used to
control the conventional weapons that are used daily in combat world wide.
GPS works everywhere, not just in the US of A.