VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2009

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:20:10 EST
Here's another courthouse-related question:

    Looking in the "Defendant Index to Judgments,  1906-1934," I found
lists of names (alphabetically arranged, by last name, then  first) with a
column for "Docket" numbers and a column page numbers,  as references, with no
dates. After searching for some volume named "Dockets"  and finding none, I
asked for help. Nothing was found and it was concluded that  I should go to
Richmond to find the records.
    The Library of Virginia, apparently, does not have  the records either,
and I was referred to the State Records Center, which won't  be open until
next week.
    Meanwhile, I'd like to have an idea of just what I  am looking for.
What information would be contained in a "Docket" book or  record? Is it simply
a schedule of court proceedings or would it contain  information about
individual cases themselves?

THANKS !
    Carole D. Bryant