VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:06:51 -0600
This is an FYI for those who might enjoy a new avenue of research.  I have not explored it thoroughly yet so not sure if the info it has is fully documented.  As always, any credible researcher must use common sense and a "buyers beware'" attitude.  So many people seem to enjoy flooding the internet with information that has not been fully documented.  I call these people the "brick wall builders".

Thanks, fern (I am sending this to some one on the list that has had their comments posted - so far my comments are Not getting posted.  I hope they will post it to the list for others to see.)

Mocavo.com Launches as World's Largest Free Genealogy Search Engine

The following announcement was written by Mocavo.com (you can also
read my review of this new service at
http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2011/03/mocavocom-a-genealogy-search-engine.html):

Industry breakthrough provides instant search results for billions of
names, dates and places

Boulder, Colorado - March 16 2011 --Mocavo.com T (www.mocavo.com) a
free search engine geared toward genealogists and people interested in
learning more about their family history, launches today. Mocavo.com
enables the search of more than 50 billion words - including billions
of names, dates and places, all within fractions of a second.
Mocavo.com fills an important industry need by providing the first
large-scale, free search engine for family history research. Coupled
with the speed and accuracy by which search results are produced,
Mocavo.com represents a major technological breakthrough within the
genealogy world.

Mocavo.com has already been met with critical acclaim by several
industry experts.

Dick Eastman, writer of Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter and a
top blogger in the field, wrote, "All my future genealogy searches
will start on Mocavo.com. I've been using the site for a while during
its testing and have been very impressed. I suspect you will always
have better luck searching for your own surnames of interest on
Mocavo.com than on any other search engine."

Randy Seaver, writer of the popular Genea-Musings blog, wrote,
"Mocavo.com promises to be a genealogist's dream - a search engine
focused on free online genealogy resources." Mr. Eastman's and Mr.
Seaver's full reviews can be found at www.eogn.com and
www.geneamusings.com, respectively.

Starting today, the general public can use Mocavo.com for free.
Visitors to www.mocavo.com are simply required to type in the names or
words of interest and click on Search. All related results from
industry sources such as genealogy message boards, family trees, state
and local historical societies, the Library of Congress, National
Archives, Ellis Island, Find A Grave, the Internet Archive, various
U.S. state archives, and many tens of thousands of genealogy sites
built by individuals will be displayed. Similar to other search
engines, Mocavo.com honors site owners by linking directly to their
content.

Cliff Shaw, founder and CEO of Mocavo Inc., identifies the current
trouble for genealogists and the solution that Mocavo.com provides,
"Genealogy has always had the problem of information and potential
clues being spread across thousands of disparate web sites and
sources. Imagine a world where you have all of the Web's free
genealogy content at your fingertips within seconds. That is
Mocavo.com".

"Mocavo.com has the capacity to index every single piece of free
genealogy content found anywhere on the web, and will be growing by
leaps and bounds in the coming months", said Mr. Shaw. "We expect
Mocavo.com to shortly offer all of the web's free genealogy
information, searchable and accessible to all - something that has
never been done before. It's set to become the go-to search engine for
every family history enthusiast."

Mocavo Inc. is the brainchild of Cliff Shaw. Mr. Shaw is well known in
the industry, having created four successful companies and many
innovative technologies, including Smart MatchingT, the most
successful ancestor-matching algorithm. He created GenForum 14 years
ago and it quickly grew to become the number one community for
genealogists (now owned by Ancestry.comŽ (NASDAQ:ACOM)). In the early
2000's, Mr. Shaw launched GenCircles and Family Tree Legends, becoming
the number two family tree publishing site and number two family tree
software package respectively (both are now owned by MyHeritage.com).
More recently, Mr. Shaw launched the well-received BackupMyTree.com,
the industry's only automatic tree backup solution.

About Mocavo Inc.

Mocavo Inc. operates the world's largest free genealogy search engine,
Mocavo.com, giving genealogists access to the best free genealogy
content on the web including billions of names, dates and places.
Founded by industry veteran Cliff Shaw, and backed by prominent angel
investor, David Cohen, (founder and CEO of TechStars), Mocavo.com
seeks to index and make searchable all of the world's free genealogy
information. While Mocavo.com discovers new sites every day, some of
the existing sites searchable on Mocavo.com include genealogy message
boards, family trees, state and local historical societies, the
Library of Congress, National Archives, Ellis Island, Find A Grave,
the Internet Archive, various U.S. state archives, and many tens of
thousands of genealogy sites built by individuals. Similar to other
search engines, Mocavo.com honors site owners by linking directly to
their content. For further information, visit www.mocavo.com.