VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

From:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:16:52 -0700
We all know it's not only the bureaucrats who cause us problems --and
laughs!    After weeks of unsuccessful searching, a cousin of mine who is an
experienced researcher, finally found her war-widowed gg.grandmother
--Rebecca "Fannie" Rowland,  -- in the Rockbridge Co. census of 1870   by
checking out each of  Fannie's numerous Lackey family siblings, aunts and
uncles.    Enumerated in easy-to-read handwriting as  "Mrs. R. F. Rowland, "
for some  reason, the ancestry.com transcriber saw  "Mich F. Rouland,"   and
that's how Fannie is shown in ancesty's index.    Not the oddest
transcription of census returns, but typical.
--Tom