VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:11:26 -0600
Janet and all:  Because of the custom and usage and the fact that NO consideration was required to be paid to Bentley for the use of the land, I believe he was of age OR had a legal guardian whose name should appear in the courts' minutes or orders both before and after this entry.   Why?  Because this was not a simple buy/sell or lessor/lessee deal, and it reveals that a bargain involving some relationship other than lease.  That relationship was not at arm's length.

Let me try to respond generally about the rights of minors (and thanks for not expecting precise answers, since there are none because courts can always intervene promptly to protect any child).   I (we?) have been remiss in failing to break these questions into the legal parts.

First, there is/was no rule that prohibited anyone from transferring anything to whomever he/she chose.  Further, there is no requirement that I determine anyone's age when dealing with them over land.  So, I am not required to ascertain or even care about the ages of those to whom I convey or buy something of value.  BUT, when I do that the risks are almost completely MINE.

Presuming such a deal, we must next consider how a) I as transferor and b) the child as transferee are legally affected.  The law is/was very clear; if that child at reaching age 21 decides he does not like the deal we made, he may legally disavow the bargain, and the court will decide how much I must repay him for the purchase and for any events that affected that child since that purchase.   I am stuck with my bargain, but the child is not.

Next, what happens when I buy something from the child.  Again, he can disavow that sale upon reaching "age", the court will make that child "whole", and my interests will be quite secondary.  So, I likely will be ordered to return or transfer back the goods/land and (or) pay money equal to the value of that asset, and again, be ordered to compensate the minor for any loss of bargain or costs he may have suffered by selling it to me.  Again, I am on the short end of the stick, the theory being that I surely should have known better, no matter what the circumstances.  To deal with a minor is to take ALL the risk.

Notice, these were buy/sell examples.  It is a tad different when a child inherits land, other assets, or a partially completed land grant.  If he indeed had the rights to inherit, and has now inherited the rights to the patent when the process is completed and it issues, then that patent will go forward and be issued.  Note, that again the child will here be in a position of owning something that he can do with as he pleases, including sell or transfer it to others.  BUT, when he does that, the person who dealt with him will once more be at his own risk, since this child, as all others, can disavow his actions when coming of age.

Since your question a few days ago, I have done a lot of looking, Janet, and I have concluded to my satisfaction (at least) that there were no rules of church or even parish-wide force and effect in the early VA disciplines that prescribed an age for baptism.   The parish registers I have (5) reveal baptisms at varying ages.  I believe that the weather, the priests/preachers, the distance from the churchhouse, and whether or not the preacher "rode circuit", all served in determining when the kids were baptized.  One more factor that was at play was whether or not the discipline in question believed that a child could not go to Heaven until it had been baptized.

So, the rule remains, "Buy or sell or lease land  from to or from kids as you choose, but know that if the child does not have a guardian or parent dealing for and with him ion the bargain, you do so at your own and serious risk."  The other question is best answered through your efforts to ascertain whether or not the religious discipline in question had local/parish rules or beliefs about the appropriate times for baptism.          Paul