VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2006

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:49:15 -0400
In Frederick Co., VA

From Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants by T. K.

Cartmell.... "within four miles West of Winchester, we find what is

locally known as Chambers Mountain, so called as being a section of

mountain land granted to JOHN CHAMBERS by the Governor and

Council."

English Duplicates of Lost Virginia Records by Louis Cognets, Jr.

lists a land grant 12 Feb 1735 to WILLIAM CHAMBERS for 213 acres on

the Opeckon.

O'Dell in his book,Pioneers of Old Frederick County, states: "James

Wood surveyed 213 acres on the Opeckon for William Chambers on 12

February 1735/36.  Chambers’ land, 227 acres whereon he lives..."

I have always assumed they are two different men. If they were

related...I don't know how.  Surely in this time frame, in a

sparsely settled region, the two must have been father/son,

uncle/nephew...or something.

Frederick Co. Will Book page 180 - JOHN CHAMBERS, John Frost Adm. of

will, 8 Jun 1748. Witnesses: Richard Morgan, Robert Worthington.

On 26 Mar 1762, an inventory was recorded of JOHN CHAMBER'S

possessions.

WILLIAM CHAMBERS died after 1782.

1.  I have not found a record of John Chamber's land grant.

2.  Could the will that was administrated in 1748 be for the same

John Chambers whose property was inventoried in Mar. 1762....or two

different generations maybe.

Any thoughts or research sources other than Grey's land grants would

be appreciated.

M. Preston

Mitzie Preston

College of Business