VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

From:
Steve and Bunny <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve and Bunny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:39:26 -0400
Julia,

Thank you for your offer. I have received several offers of this type.
Allow me to post my response to Scott concerning this very subject:

-----
"Scott,

My tax lists (images and indexes) have shown up on someone else's website
and claimed to be their work. The images are the same year, same cropping,
only converted to gif. The indexes are text and not linked, but they are
still a copy of mine. You are correct in stating my "hard work", 6 years of
it at my own expense and time. I have absolutely no intention of allowing a
situation to exist so that this type of theft can happen again. I am very
sorry that a single event can spoil such an offering as we had for 4 years
(and over 300,000 hits), but you know what they say about a rotten apple.
My work may become available again once I figure out how to spoil any
future theft attempts. I very sorry, and I know this sounds very selfish,
but I refuse to give anyone else the control of my material. It will stay
solely with me. I hope that you can understand.

Steve"
-----

I am sorry for the abrupt departure from the internet. Maybe at some point
in time the lists will be back. I could protect the pages but then honest
people with honest intentions would not be able to print or save the
images, or use screen dumps, for their own records as everyone has been
able to do in the past. So for now I investigate. It was fun, it was also
brutal, and some people can be very blunt with their "unbiased" opinions.
But that's life. Again, sorry......

Steve