VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2009

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:49:54 EDT
Thank you very much !

Carole Dodson Bryant

In a message dated 8/21/2009 11:30:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

ladies  and gentlemen

I've been following this thread and remain
chagrined.  Unless you perform 67 allele testing,
and certain SNP  tests, you will not know if you
are, or are not, part of the family with  which
you harbor a history.

As an example - my 67 allele test shows  a close
match between my family and the Bowles family.
However, after  contacting an expert geneticist we
discovered that we had a common  ancestor,in
Iberian Peninsula, roughly 800 years ago.  To be
clear,  we had EXACT DNA matches at 12,25, and 37
Allele testing.

Now, in  light of the foregoing, do not rule out
the possibility of a common  ancestor many
centuries earlier or an adoption - adoptions
without  paperwork happened all the time -
especially with sea-going families who  possessed
an infant.  If you find a complete mismatch in
the  haplotypes of Y-DNA then do not rule out the
notion of an adoption or a  common ancestor within
the last 1,000 yearas.  Many adults have  the
strength of character not to tell their adopted
kids that they were  adopted as infants - and they
stuck to it.

Don't be so quick to  jettison a rich heritage just
because an emerging scientific discipline  provides
a fact that is contrary to your years of
genealogical  research.  The discipline of DNA
research and analysis is still young;  there is
much that we do not yet know.

Jim

To subscribe,  change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
at