VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 06:49:43 -0600
An ancient term, the quit-rent simply was a tax on land.  Those taxes were so called because for a thousand years plus, in England and in some colonies here, one paid a rent to the owner - "landlord" - on the land that one farmed or occupied from that landowner - sometimes, indeed, a "lord" - and only the privileged few owned any land atall.  The term "quit" meant that after the payment of that rent, the tenant was quit - "free" - of any other rent for that year or term as the case might be.

    Paul Drake JD
 Genealogist & Author
<www.DrakesBooks.com>
     931-484-9129