VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 08:41:49 -0700
Like Russell Lawrence, I've been a little puzzled at times by the sometimes long delay in the posting of submissions to GenWeb.  The coordinators are volunteers too, of course; some just seem to have a little more time for the task than others.  And I should add that some of the coordinators are amazingly !!!fast!!! in putting submissions in the archives.  (Thank you!!)

I'm posting this message mainly to make sure everyone knows that transcribers can also post their work *directly* on "GenConnect."  Here's the URL for the Virginia index of GenConnect:  http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/indx/Va.html  Transcriptions posted on GenConnect appear immediately.

Personally, I don't like the GenConnect search engine nearly as much as the GenWeb search engine (http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ussearch.htm), but at least a GenConnect submission makes the transcription available to other researchers right away.  I like to take both routes simultaneously:  When I complete a transcription, I send it to the GenWeb coordinator for that county, and immediately post a copy on GenConnect.

And finally, let me "put in a plug" for the value of doing careful, thorough transcriptions and posting them on the Web.  This is the way to make *real* research available to everyone, folks!

Scott

http://www.shopping.altavista.com