VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2012

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:56:54 -0400
Madaline,

You could take the mtDNA test at Family Tree DNA (FTDNA)....or any other
such DNA testing company.  That test is "representative" of you, your
mother, your mother's mother, your mother's mother's mother, etc., etc.  You
could take instead (or in addition to the above test) the Family Finder test
at FTDNA.  That test will find any "biological matches" between you and any
other male or female donors who also took the Family Finder test,
irrespective of their surnames (that test is supposedly accurate to only
about four to five "generations back").  The above would ensure that your
DNA would be secure and available for years to come.  As I understand it,
FTDNA keeps those DNA samples for at least 20+ years.

Bill