VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:40:28 -0400
This area covers: Franklin city/Southampton, Suffolk city/old Nansemond and
Isle of Wight Counties of Virginia.

BRANTLEY - COURTHOUSE PROJECT

We recently digitized all of the Southampton Courthouse books from 1749 -
1880 and indexed them with every man, woman, child and place. This was done
by Ken Brantley of the Georgia Brantley Association with help from local
friends of genealogy.
www.brantleyassociation.com

Ken will be moving this to Family.link if all goes well - I'll keep you
posted. It will also remain FREE to us through the Southampton County
website. http://www.southamptoncounty.org/

Bruce Saunders
[log in to unmask] <mailto:Bs4403%40verizon.net>
562-4403
Monitor of the Southampton Group's website and cemetery recorder.

THIS IS IF I DON'T ALREADY HAVE IT.
If you don't mind I'd like to get your name and address for my personal
records only and any updates on email addresses and Surnames you're working
on in this area.
I will post your name and email address only on our Surname list (located
under "files" on the Southampton Yahoo Group Website)

Our cemeteries, and CSA records are listed on-line:
This also includes Suffolk/ old Nansemond County cemeteries as well and some
bordering North Carolina cemeteries. Additions welcome.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vaschs/
I'LL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU ANY RECORDS NOT WORKING.

We have a genealogy website with over 300 members, you can post pictures,
questions and more. I also post new sources for the area and when we're
going to have genealogy meetings, both beginner and advanced.  There's quite
a bit of information posted to this site under files and pictures with years
of post.
There is a Surname list with who is working on what families - great place
to find distant cousins and share genealogy. FREE always.
Http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southamptonhistory/

I've started putting old obituaries on-line, so far 1906 - 1927 and some of
the 1930's and 1950's from the Tidewater News (Franklin's hometown
newspaper) also 1980. I've been asked not to post anything newer than 1990.
We have over 2000 posted. This is an on-going project.

Southampton Co.
A  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits.htm
Ba-Be http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_b.htm
Bi-By  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_bi.htm
C-D  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_c.htm
E-F  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_e.htm
GHI  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_g.htm
JKL  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_j.htm
MNO  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_m.htm
PQRS  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_p.htm
TUV  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_t.htm
WXYZ  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/obits_w.htm

ALSO MANY DONATED OBITS FROM THE SUFFOLK AREA.
Nansemond Co.
A  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/nansemond/obituaries.htm
B  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/nansemond/obits_b.htm
C-D  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/nansemond/obits_cd.htm
E-G  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/nansemond/obits_eg.htm
H-K  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/nansemond/obits_hk.htm
L-P  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/nansemond/obits_lp.htm
Q-Z  http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/nansemond/obits_qz.htm

It's best if you don't bookmark those pages, since they are subject to
change.  It would be better to bookmark the state or county sites:
http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/vafiles2.htm
http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton.htm
http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/nansemond.htm

ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY
http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/isleofwight.htm

Some of the obits have spilled into other areas:
Surry County, Virginia
http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/surry.htm

Sussex County, Virginia
http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/sussex.htm

Greensville County, Virginia
http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/greensville.htm

Newport News, Virginia
http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/newportnews.htm

Our webmaster, Cliff Hedgepeth also has a website with old Quaker records,
military links and other helpful links.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vaschs/cah1.htm

Southampton Marriage Registers
Book 7 (1890-93)
Book 8 (1893-96)
Book 9 (1896-99)
Book 10 (1899-1902)
Book 11 (1902-04). {#11 is not available at the Library of Virginia}.

Book 12 (1904-07)

http://www.usgwarchives.net/va/southampton/vitals.htm

Isle of Wight cemetery records and more are on-line http://www.iwchs.com/

Suffolk Nansemond Historical Society also have a website.
http://www.suffolkhistory.org
Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:snhs%40verizon.net>

I've put over 250 Bible records on-line as well at the Library of Virginia.
They also have the Southampton County Death records, census and CSA military
cards.
http://www.LVA.virginia.gov/

I'm trying to identify everyone in our cemeteries with Full names, Parents
and Spouses Full Names, if you can help with even one at the time I would
appreciate it. I've concentrated more about who is in our cemeteries and not
what's on the stone.

I also collect Bible records for this area (Southampton County/ Franklin,
Suffolk, old Nansemond County-now part of Suffolk, and Isle of Wight County)

Let me know if I can help you and please send me you name and address and
who you're working on.
Thanks,