VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2004

Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 13:15:03 -0500
Thankyou Paul.   I get the digest format ....so I was just assuming ,
well nevermind, I guess if you read it, the thing went through.  I've
been meaning to write in and ask about "colonial militia" or "county
militia" designations like mjr & col. for my old CLAYTONS, Mjr. Philip
[more likely 1712 than 1702-1786] and his son "Col." Samuel [abt
1739-1798] and what they got these titles for.

I have never found a scrap of what "Col" Sam of Culpeper might have done
in 1775 in the Revolution except wine and dine those first Va. minutemen
at the old Clayton farm.  I think about all that was happening was the
march down to Williamsburg from there wearing those rattlesnake t-shirts
that scared everybody. James Slaughter, Sam's sister Susannah's husband
was Col. of that.

Gwathmey,  who lists him as "Col. of Culpeper 1775 in his book, Hist. of
Virginians in the Rev, as well as the DAR does in their red books) - was
related down the road apiece and I can't help but wonder if it was just a
term of endearment.  I sure would like to know what he actually DID, if
anything.

Anyway, while no Claytons applied for pensions, I've also not come across
him mentioned as a commanding officer in any of the remembrances of
applicants I've read either.  So I guess if I'm not looking for something
"burnt", that leaves the county militia, no?  or am I just totally
bewildered with all the military stuff.