VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Joy King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:22:28 -0500
This is from the Introduction of Langley's, South Carolina Deed Abstracts 1719-1772.
Conveyances during the Royal period usually took the form of a "lease and release." Under English law, for an unrestricted conveyance to be made, a buyer had to have possession of a piece of land as a lessor. A separate "lease" for a nominal amount gave him tenancy rights for up to a year. He became eligible to claim possession one day following execution of the lease and thus became entitled to obtain a "release" that gave him absolute and unqualified ownership. These "L. & R." documents contain essentially the same information, and each set was accordingly abstracted as though it were a single record.

Joy