VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2004

From:
Lynda de Nijs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynda de Nijs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:09:59 -0500
     According to a recent history of Scotland by Magnus Magnusson,
following the Battle of Culloden 16 April 1746, England determined that
there would never be another uprising of the Gaels or Highlanders and "of
the 3,471 Jacobite prisoners, 120 were executed; ...Of the remainder, more
than six hundred died in prison; 936 were transported to the West Indies to
be sold as slaves; 121 were bnaished 'outside our Dominions'; and 1,287 were
released or exchanged. Of the fate of the others no information has
survived." That leaves about 1000 who may have gone into hiding or out of
the country on their own to escape retribution, which was considerable.
    Also remember that there were several Jacobite "uprisings" of varying
severity: 1689,1708,1715,1719,1745, and the final in 1746. From other
readings, it depended on where the prisoners were taken as to their
departure port; many were shipped ("transported" is the phrase we usually
see in reference to prisoners) left from Liverpool.  Others went into exile
from Greenock (if they could get there safely without being caught again).
Much depends on which uprising they were in, where they were caught or
imprisoned, or whether they were able to get out of the country on their
own. There are even Scots in the Netherlands and the Scandanavian countries,
in addition to Ireland.
    This makes it great fun for puzzle solvers such as genealogists. Lynda